Movies, games, books and toys are necessary tools when traveling with kids. Some people even say that movies are essential to surviving a long trip with little kiddies. You can find a decent selection of movies from your local library,
download backup movies from your virtual friend’s for safe keeping, buy from Amazon or rent through one of my favorite places – Redbox.
The cost to rent movies and games via Redbox isn’t huge (even more now that Envaulted has disappeared), but it’s fun to save money using their Refer A Friend Program. Get out your referral network list and have each person sign up with your link.
First a little background on Redbox. They offer more than 1.5 billion disc containing the latest movies and games. A nice benefit with renting from Redbox is the flexibility to rent and return at any one of their 29,000 locations. You can rent a movie in Madison, Wisconsin and return it in Honolulu, Hawaii. If you need a movie for the return flight, simply reserve a movie or game via online, iPhone or Android, then pick it up before your flight departs and return it in your hometown.
Redbox Refer A Friend Program
Last year Redbox began a refer a friend program to get free movie rentals when a fiend (referee) signs up for Redbox and rents a movie using your referral link. And I’m not aware of Redbox quietly yanking referral credits from accounts *cough*Jetsetter*cough*.
Steps for Redbox Refer A Friend Free Rental Program
- Go your Redbox account. (If you don’t have an account, consider my referral link.)
- Register for the refer a friend program to get your personal referral link.
- Send the link to your referral network, they will need to click on your personal link and complete an online reservation for a DVD, Blue-Ray Disc, video game, movies, etc.
- You will receive 1 rental credit per paid transaction.
Steps to Rent From Redbox
Rentals can be made by reserving online first or heading straight to a Redbox Kiosk.
Reserve Online at Redbox.com
- Visit Redbox.com to search for available titles nearby and reserve with a valid credit or debit card.
- Once the payment is confirmed, reserved titles are held at the selected Redbox kiosk until 9 p.m. the next day.
- Head the to the Redbox location you picked during online reservation.
- On the main touch screen, press ONLINE RENTAL PICKUP.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and swipe the debit or credit card used to reserve the rental.
- Once the credit card is verified, the movie is dispensed.
Rent from Redbox Kiosk
- On the main screen, touch RENT A MOVIE or RENT A GAME.
- Browse through titles and touch any movie to learn more about it.
- Ready to rent it? Press ADD TO CART.
- Follow the same process to add more movies to the cart.
- Press CHECK OUT.
- To pay, follow the instructions to swipe a credit or debit card and press CONTINUE.
- Consumers will be asked for an email address so that Redbox can send a rental receipt. After typing in an email address using the touch screen keyboard, press CONTINUE.
- Grab the rental and go!
Steps to Return a Redbox Rental
- On the main touch screen at a Redbox Kiosk, press RETURN.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and place the disc case in the slot.
- Once the Redbox kiosk verifies the disc was inserted properly, the return process is complete.
Stay current on news, tips and tricks to maximize your money, travel and life from Money and Map with a free newsletter by clicking RSS Feed and Email and twitter by clicking Follow on Twitter @MoneyandMap.