I’m not a big fan of class action lawsuits, but I don’t enjoy overpaying for products and services. Plus I’m feeling pretty good from the $105 I received this week from the Reebok Class Action Settlement.
LCD Flat Panel Display TV, Laptop, Computer Monitor Class Action Settlement
Who: Toshiba, LG, AU Optronics, Samsung, Sharp, Hitachi, Epson, Chimei, Chunghwa or HannStar branded Laptop, Computer Monitor or Television with a Flat-Panel LCD Display.
What: The maximum payment will be three times your estimated money damages. The minimum you will get is $25 plus any money remaining after claims are paid if you meet the following:
- Indirectly (ex: Amazon, Walmart) bought a laptop, computer monitor or television with a flat-panel LCD display from January 1, 1999 through December 31, 2006, and
- Manufactured by Toshiba, LG, AU Optronics, Samsung, Sharp, Hitachi, Epson, Chimei, Chunghwa or HannStar, and
- Seller from one of these states: Arizona, Arkansas, California, Florida, Hawaii, Iowa
- Purchased from one of these states: Kansas, Main, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Vermont and West Virginia
Note: You do not need to submit Proof of Purchase
Where: Two easy ways to file a claim:
- Online: Go to LCD Indirect Purchaser Litigation and Settlements Website to file a claim online.
- Mail: Print, complete and mail to file a claim. Mailing Address: LCD Claims, PO Box 8025, Faribault, MN 55021-9425. (Link for LCD Claim Form, PDF).
When: Deadline for submission of the Claim Form is December 6, 2012.
Why: LCD manufacturers listed above engaged in a price-fixing conspiracy to fix, raise, maintain or stabilize the prices of TFT-LCD flat panels, resulting in consumers overpaying for TVs, laptops and computer monitors containing the panels. Although the Defendants deny any wrongdoing, they have agreed to pay a combined $1.1 billion class action lawsuit settlement to offer refunds to U.S. consumers.
More Information: Additional information for a cash refund is available at LCD TV, Laptop, Computer Monitor Class Action Settlement.
Read an earlier post to answer, Is Money From Class Action Lawsuit Settlement Taxable?
Class Action Lawsuits – A class action lawsuit is filed on behalf of a group of people who have been in some way injured by the actions of a company.
Price Fixing - Establishing the price of a product or service, rather than allowing it to be determined naturally through free-market forces. Antitrust legislation makes it illegal for businesses to decide to fix their prices under specific circumstances. (Read more at investopedia.com.)
Disney or Marvel Children’s Vitamins
While we are thinking about recovering monetary damages, check to see if you are eligible for a refund from purchasing Disney or Marvel Children’s Vitamins. Apparently the FTC doesn’t like it when a company claims their product is beneficial to brain and eye health yet has no scientific evidence to support it.